Dimensions: 145 x 100

File Type: jpeg

File Size: 11 KB

About admin

The Mountain Arts District (MAD) is a directory of musicians, artists, educational opportunities, events and venues in the highland region of West Virginia. It’s purpose it to promote the unique arts and culture of northcentral West Virginia. Learn more.
Loading…
  • George Ward Children’s Art

    GPS Coordinates: 38-43-48 N,-79-58-10  W   Children’s’ Art Dedicated at George Ward School in Mill Creek An installation of four pieces of art done by local youth was presented to Principal Rick Sharp at George Ward school.  The theme of endangered species presented by art teacher Tessa Garver guided the three upper-level students.  Carter Patterson’s burrowing owl was flanked by turtles by Destiny Swecker and endangered flowers by Sierra Byers.   Lilly Blankenship of George Ward school produced a pointillistic drawing that will also be mounted at the school. The art pieces are 3 X 4 feet and were produced with funding of the Randolph County Commission and the Snowshoe Foundation.  These and the previous eight pieces of student art in the Elkins parks form the basis of a Childrens’ Art Trail which will extend to at least two additional counties within the next year. Mountain Arts District promotes artists and […]

  • Buckhannon City Seal

    38.993922,-80.231856 Main St. and Locust St., Buckhannon Debra Dorland, 2006 The Buckhannon seal depicts an imagined meeting between the great Delaware chief Buckhongahelas (after whom this city is reputedly named) & one of the region’s first European settlers, Samuel Pringle, who, with his brother John, made a home in a huge hollow sycamore tree just north of present-day Buckhannon. Back to the Gallery

  • Barbour County War Memorial

    39.152452,-80.039618 N. Main St., Philippi — on the Courthouse lawn Inscription reads: Erected by Barbour County Post No. 44, The American Legion, and the Citizens of This County The Soldiers’ Memorial, dedicated to the memory of twenty-four local men who gave their lives in World War I, was unveiled on November 11, 1923.  The project was sponsored by American Legion Post 44 and financed by businesses, schools, organizations, and individuals.  The eight-foot bronze Doughboy is one of 136 statues sculpted by Ernest Moore Viquesney, whose grandfather, Charles Alfred Viquesney, became a naturalized citizen in 1844 ceremonies at the Philippi courthouse, on the grounds where the statues now stands. Back to the Gallery