Williams Ave., Davis
Gary Miller, 2016
Davis became a well know and boisterous lumber town in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. The plateau area was locally known as “Canada,” consisting of a dense forest of spruce and hardwoods.Although it had a succession of owners and names the mill started by Rumbarger in 1886 operated two facilities, one for hardwoods and one for softwoods. They cut timber along much of the Blackwater River, in Canaan Valley, along Beaver Creek, on Canaan Mountain, the Blackwater Manor Tract, Cabin Mountain and Backbone Mountain. In nearly 38 years their mills produced nearly 9-million board feet of lumber.