Mingo Flats, Valley Head
Erected by S.H. Wood, 1920
This monument is erected in memory of the passing of the “Red Man.” An Indian village was located near this place according to local tradition. It was frequented by the Mingo tribe, and at one time was an Iroquois outpost – Mingo Iroquois, meaning “Foreign Service”. The Mingoes are said to have been expelled by the Iroquois for disloyalty. This village was on the trail from the Lakes to the South, but had been abandoned prior to the coming of the “Pale Face”. From this tradition came the name of the present village. The Magisterial District and the adjacent stream – Mingo Run. Tal-gah-Jute-John Logan-The Mingo Chief, is supposed to have used this habitat. He was terrible in war-fare, yet humane in peace and was a factor in Colonial History.
Descendants of the early pioneers wanted to honor the place where the an American Indian village had stood. Though whether or not this village was Mingo or not, is debated. Remains of the village were visible to the first settlers, although clearly abandoned for many years. An online copy of “Monument to, and history of the Mingo Indians; facts and traditions about this tribe, their wars, chiefs, camps, villages and trails. Monument dedicated to their memory near the village of Mingo, in Tygarts River Valley of West Virginia” provides a great deal of information on the statue, the arguments for and against its erection, and even some of the speeches given on the date of its dedication.